Domestic Violence can be defined as a pattern of behavior in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over an intimate partner. Abuse is physical, sexual, emotional, economic or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. This includes any behaviors that frighten, intimidate, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, or injure or wound someone. Domestic violence can happen to anyone of any race, age, sexual orientation, religion, or gender. It can happen to couples who are married, living together, or who are dating. Domestic violence affects people of all socioeconomic backgrounds and education levels.
To bring awareness to this topic, Turningpoint will be holding their 25th Annual Walk to Empower on Saturday, October 12th, 2013!
Here are the details:
- Registration at 9:00am
- Program begins at 10:00 am, followed by a 2 mile walk
- Meet at Great River Road Visitor and Learning Center located at Freedom Park in Prescott (www.freedomparkwi.org)
- Build a team or walk as an individual
- All attendees receive a Turningpoint backpack!
- Register at the event or ahead of time
- For more information check out their website at www.turningpoint-wi.org or contact Alena Taylor at 715-425-6751 x104
$0.92 cents of every dollar raised provides emergency shelter to domestic violence survivors from Pierce and St. Croix Counties.